Monday, June 28, 2010

My first day of Term 3

The "long" holidays which did not seem really like a holiday (since I was going back to school almost every alternate day) has finally ended. The first day of Term 3 was both a mixture of joy and despair for me.

In the morning, I dragged my tired body up the stairs to my classroom where I met some of my classmates. We were delighted at being finally able to see each other after about one month. We had a great time telling each other about our experiences during the holidays. The lucky and rich ones went for holidays while poor old me had to stay in Singapore. I am not complaining. I love Singapore and I am very happy to be here during the June holidays instead of being overseas.

The day started off with Malay. However, the lesson seemed to pass quite quickly as it was relatively fun. We had recess before proceeding to the science lab for our first Biology lesson. Our teacher was Mr. Tan Kai Yuan. To many people in the class, he is a "stranger teacher". However to a small minority of us, he is a familiar face. He is my mentor! He was my mentor last year and I realised that he is quite a fun to be with teacher. He is young and so we can communicate easily with him. He uses some slang and teenage lingo so treat him just like our friend but with the expected respect. Back to the lesson, he gave us a brief introduction of himself. We were amazed at his brilliant powerpoint skills. We have never seen a powerpoint so well done before. As we proceeded on to do the practicals, I accidentally broke a beaker. $4 flew out of my pocket. There goes my "mee pok" for lunch. This is the first unlucky thing that happened.

After Biology, we had two free periods as our Maths teacher Miss. Tong was not able to teach us. We took the time to finish the Biology homework that Mr. Tan had given us to do which had to be handed up to him at the end of the day.

The last two periods were Language Arts. It has been a long time since we have seen Miss. Low and I swear she looks younger! (Ok I am half joking with the intention of getting more ACE points, but seriously Miss. Low looks younger with a full month's rest and free of stress. That is the truth by the way :) ). We went through some poetry and prose before we ended lessons.

I went for a quick bite in the canteen (remember I lost $4 earlier in the morning?). I then went to the staff room to submit my Geography Ace to Miss. Yap, before rushing to the Biology labs in the SRC by 2p.m. to meet my mentor before conducting experiments until six plus.

My experiment is very tedious. I have to count more than 80 seeds which are the size of a full stop! I am not exaggerating. They are seeds of the Arabdopsis thaliana plants. In the process of the experiment I burnt my finger with fire. This is the second unlucky thing that happened to me.

I guess today was not really so enjoyable after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment